Research studies have proven that eating two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. Not the only great thing about bananas though! They do not lose nutritional content after being picked as do other fruits and vegetables with thinner skin!
My grandmother's saying, "If it tastes good it can't be good for you," doesn't hold water with the banana case… Studies have also found that bananas can overcome and/or prevent a number of illnesses and conditions, making it a great idea to include them in your daily diet.
1) Anemia: Bananas are high in iron and can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood therefore helping in iron deficiency anemia. No constipation when eating bananas as with iron supplements!
2) Blood Pressure: The doctors' I worked with would tell the patient to eat a banana every day! Why? Because they are high in potassium yet low in salt. That advice was usually to people taking blood pressure medications, since those medications help to deplete the system of that most important mineral potassium. People with low Potassium in the body creates the climate for heart attack and/or other diseases... Doctors in India discovered just two bananas a day can reduce blood pressure by 10% in just one week. This backs up a previous American study showing that eating five bananas a day was 50% as effective as taking prescription medication to reduce hypertension. The US Food and Drug Administration now allows the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.
3) Student Brain Power: A study done with the help of 200 students at a Twickenham England, (Middlesex) school showed; by eating bananas at breakfast, break and lunch boosted their brain power making for better exam results. Research has shown that, again the mineral potassium-packed fruit can further learning by making students more alert.
4) Constipation: Bananas are high in fiber thereby including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, assisting in overcoming constipation without resorting to harsh laxatives.
5) Depression: Bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin known to help you relax, thereby improving mood and helping to create a happier feeling. This was been proven when done with depressed patients.
6) Hangovers: Alcohol depletes the body of several minerals and also dehydrates the body and one of the quickest hangover cures could be eating a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana shake calms the stomach replaces the potassium lost and the milk helps to rehydrate the body while calming the nerves with tryptophan...
7) Heart-burn: Bananas have a natural antacid calming effect in the body. You might try eating a banana next time you suffer from heart-burn, and calm the gas!
8) Morning Sickness: Prevent that morning sickness by snacking on bananas between meals helping to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness. Even if you forget to eat them before and you wake up with morning sickness, eat a banana to calm the stomach!
9) Bone builder: Bananas are high in phosphorus, needed for bone development, calcium, and potassium. They are particularly rich in vitamin C and contain significant amounts of several other vitamins such as vitamin A. Bananas do not contain fat and have zero cholesterol.
10) PMS: Eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels and tryptophan the calming soothing chemical, which can affect your mood.
11) Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronic ulcer cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.
12) Fevers: Many cultures see bananas as a 'cooling' fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand, for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.
13) Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer, tryptophan.
14) Smoking: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking, as the high levels of Vitamin C, A1, B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.
Contrary to popular belief, bananas are not fattening.
Eating tip! The more yellow the fruit the easier to digest and the more nutrients!